Installing dividing wall in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We are purchasing a house for my dad to live in but the survey picked up that there is no fireproof wall in the loft space. Currently as it is you can see into next doors loft from ours (on each side of chimney breast). So although it's not a requirement of the mortgage it is important to us for fire safety and also security of our loft.
The current owner has spoken to next door and they are happy for us to complete the works. I plan on writing to the neighbour to let them know when I plan on doing the work.
I am planning on constructing two stud walls on either side of the chimney breast and then using fireproof plasterboard and then tape/plaster over joins.
I plan on simply accessing next doors side from our side leaving myself an esacpe gap to get back through and so then the last thing I will need to do is arrange to go in from the neighbours house to fix the last panel over my exit hatch and tape/plaster and the jobs finished.
Anybody have any advice or anything I should be wary of? Could I get away with one stud wall meeting up with the chimney breat on both sides of loft with plasterboard screwed into this from both sides? Is wood stud wall acceptable or should I try to find some kind of metal fixings to do this wall and screw into this?
Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
This has come up before several times, try doing a search. Then ask the mods to move your post to Building as it will get hardly any views in Projects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back