installing intumescent door seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi basically i need to install intumescent door seals to 5 fire doors. Neither the doors or the door frames have the necessary grove for the strips to be fitted into.I understand therefore i would need to use a router,which i would have to buy and have never used plus the apprioprate attachments.Could someone give me some guidance as to a suitable router and attachments to do the job .On the other hand does anybody have any idea as the cost of a joiner to do the work.Help would be great

Sponsored Links
Hi, before going down the road of routing the edges to fit strip seals, it might be better to assess the current situation first.
How much of a gap exist currently between doors /frames, what fire rating are you trying to achieve and does this involve upgrading the stops???
Now you don't necessarily need to buy a router, depending the tools you possess and how well you can use them.
On the existing gap, there a product named "Sealmaster" which is only 1 mm thick and is designed exactly for scenarios such as yours, also a plow plane can do the same job that the router can do, hence my Q re what tools you have and how competently you can use them etc. etc. ...pinenot :)

have you also got to up grade the butts,what about hinge pads etc?

pineout,in my neck of the woods apprentley we no longer have to upgrade the stops,years back they had to be glued n screwed aswell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back