Installing securtity shutters yourself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I found this forum a month or so ago and after lurking and finding some decent info I signed up.

I just wanted to know if anyone has had experience installing security shutters themselves and if they encountered any problems?

I've had some installed professionally before but seeing as this time I have some time on my hands and wanted to get a bit more satisfaction that I have done it myself (and maybe save a bit of cash!)

Has anyone had any problems either installing or insurance issues? I had a quick look at my insurance and apparently it needs to be amended afterwards when someone can view my work, which makes me think if it's worth it?

It's a modern detached build, but out of the way a bit, so rather than making a 'fort' in a town I just wanted a bit of security for my possessions.

The question goes out to tradesmen too, I think it looks fairly straight forward, but when you think that you always seem to get the most problems!

Thanks, Gary.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked with the council that you can install these? They require permission in conservation areas, on listed buildings and some newish buildings also have restrictions in the deeds, too.

Hvaig said that, yes, it isn't rocket science, but part of the "knack" to it is having the heavy lifting gear you need to get the top roller and brackets into place. They are big and very heavy - and you'll be working above your head height, so you have to have access gear (ladders, etc). It normally isn't a one man job putting them up, either - needs one of you at each end. Apart from that you'll need to have a decent SDS, angle grinder, spirit levels (and a laser might be useful, too) and a decent enough drill to be able to drill steel (so not a cordless). If you have those, and a willing mate, you're off and running. It always strikes me as really heavy work when I see the security guys putting this stuff in - which is why I leave it to them. Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back