Installing Stop Cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of buying a new house and in the homebuyers survey it mentions that he couldnt find a stop cock for the water supply.

Now for the silly questions...

Obviously one needs to be installed so how easy is it to do?!

How the heck to you install it when the water is still connected!?

All new to me sorry.

Thank for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully there should be one in the street! A good bet (unless you have a huge family)is to get a water meter installed by the water supply company - it'll have a nice new shut-off valve as well. Once that's done you can then shut off at the meter and install your own stopcock where the water supply enters your property - and a non-return valve as well whilst you're at it. The job isn't too difficult given reasonable access and pipework in decent condition.

cheers thanks for that.

Interesting, it will probably be worth us getting a water meter as there will be just the two of us living in a 3 bed house.

Are they free to have installed by the water supply company?

Thanks.

Before committing yourself check the current level of charges from the previous bills.

If its less than £300 p.a. then dont bother.

Most water companies will fit them free but there can be a waiting time. Once fitted you cannot go back to unmetered.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
Most water companies will fit them free but there can be a waiting time. Once fitted you cannot go back to unmetered

Not always true - Some let you have them for 12 months and then if you think being on a meter is too expensive you have the option to go back to unmetered (rated) supply.

I think if you sell your house then the new people dont get the option.

Depends on your mater company though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back