Installing thermostatic mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few questions on the best way to install a thermostatic mixer shower....

The shower will be above the bath and fed from a 50 gallon storage tank in the loft. The customer does not want the expense of a pump at this stage but would like to keep this option open for the future.

1. I assume the correct place for the pump (if fitted at a later date) would be in the airing cupboard?

2. If so, the hot and cold feeds would have to be run the long way. eg. from tank to other side of loft, down to airing cupboard, under floor in bedroom to pick up in bathroom? would this be the best option as I have to tee into the hot cylinder anyway?

3. Surrey flange, Essex flange or just an ordinary tee into the cylinder?

4. I will be installing the pipework in the bathroom behind a panel (not buried in wall) as bath is in alcove. I heard 'Aqua' panel from Wickes is the best option as plywood will swell up when wet. Any other ideas on materials or is this best option?

5. I presume the pipes going into the mixer valves would be 15mm diameter. Is it correct procedure to reduce down from 22mm into 15mm just before connection to keep an optimum flow rate?

Many thanks for your help

Laurence.

Sponsored Links
Were you born in 1976.I started plumbing in `70 :LOL: :LOL: I will tell you one thing.the rest I want a % of the job...Surrey flange made in with hemp+ boss white ;)

laurence1976 said:
A few questions on the best way to install a thermostatic mixer shower....

The shower will be above the bath and fed from a 50 gallon storage tank in the loft. The customer does not want the expense of a pump at this stage but would like to keep this option open for the future.

1. I assume the correct place for the pump (if fitted at a later date) would be in the airing cupboard?

The pump manufacturer will answer that one, but usually they recommend the foot of the cylinder. Or you can put it in the loft.

laurence1976 said:
2. If so, the hot and cold feeds would have to be run the long way. eg. from tank to other side of loft, down to airing cupboard, under floor in bedroom to pick up in bathroom? would this be the best option as I have to tee into the hot cylinder anyway?

Er, you say that they would have to, so what other options are you suggesting?

laurence1976 said:
3. Surrey flange, Essex flange or just an ordinary tee into the cylinder?

Surrey. Again, the pump and shower valve manufacturers will state their recommendations.

laurence1976 said:
4. I will be installing the pipework in the bathroom behind a panel (not buried in wall) as bath is in alcove. I heard 'Aqua' panel from Wickes is the best option as plywood will swell up when wet. Any other ideas on materials or is this best option?

WBP plywood, or marine if you can afford it, will not swell when wet.

laurence1976 said:
5. I presume the pipes going into the mixer valves would be 15mm diameter.

Why?

laurence1976 said:
Is it correct procedure to reduce down from 22mm into 15mm just before connection to keep an optimum flow rate?

If pumped then it matters less - 15mm is usually fine. If not, then 22mm will be less restrictive to the flow.

Thanks for the advice, I think the most important part was which material to use for the panelling as once it is in and tiled, if water gets through you got a serious problem.

Was a bit surprised at the customer (whos a friend of mine) who opted not to use a pump at this stage but has forked out £500 on the shower valve! The pressure will only be as good as a basic bath tap hose connection as the tank is just 3 foot above! Still, once strong minded people get an idea in their heads its hard to convince them otherwise, despite not knowing the first thing about plumbing.

The Surrey flange I'm pleased to hear about as I don't fancy cutting into the tank to fit an Essex, although some people say fit an Essex? Its so confusing why can't there be some kind of standard to avoid all this?

Why does marine ply not absorb water, whilst ordinary ply does? hope it won't sink through if I use it!

Many thanks

Laurence.

Sponsored Links
Warix is easier to fit and get into the right orientation than the Surrey. Essex is a piece of cake once you've ovecome the fear of making the hole. It's all done and finished while you're still getting the old plumbing apart for a Surrey. Lots here, do a search.

Your panel shouldn't ever get wet if you do the tiling properly with the right stuff (flexible !). Not advised, but lots of DIY panels are plasterboard!! Aquapanel seems weak to me - if you fell against it would it crack? Perhpas a ply backing or frequent noggins would help.

laurence1976 said:
Why does marine ply not absorb water, whilst ordinary ply does? hope it won't sink through if I use it!

Many thanks

Laurence.

I didn't say that it doesn't absorb water, I said that it doesn't swell. I don't know enough to tell you why, but I would expect it's at least partly down to the use of a glue that won't dissolve in water, and partly down to chemical treatment of the wood. Either way, it's great stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back