Installing upvc windows yourself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a house that needs all of its windows replacing, so I got quotes from Everest and a couple of other window replacement companies.

The Everest quote was hair-raising and the other local replacement companies were no bargain either.

Someone suggested to me that I could measure and order the windows and doors from a trade supplier and either pay a local fitter or fit them myself.

I reckon I could learn to fit them myself, but I'm not sure of the best place to source them from. Is it possible to order them via the internet and have them delivered?

Has anyone here had any experience of doing this and/or have any recommendations?

TIA

Jever

Sponsored Links
Fitted a few myself over the years, I'm no expert but I've always found it pretty easy...

Have to say I've done a better job than most that I see around, half inch gaps filled with foam and window mastic gobbed on like the bloke had 5 pints.

Only thing is, it's quite time consuming by the time you remove the old one, clean up, get the new one unpacked/fitted/reglazed, mastic in, make good any interior mess or bits of plastic you had to pull out... One window is easy but a whole house... would allocate a long weekend.

Can order online but I would suggest finding somewhere local in case there's any problems.

To be honest I always recommend using a reputable local company to supply and fit them. Let them deal with all the relevant regulations, certificates and warranties etc.
However if you are determined to have a go yourself it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask your local company for a supply only price. They should be able to give you a competitive quote, and are more likely to help you if you encounter any problems such as the windows arriving damaged for example.
Bear in mind though that they may not want to survey your windows if it is for supply only so you may have to measure them yourself.
Toughened glass, Fire escape openings, Trickle vents if necessary, how to glaze the windows properly, disposing of the old windows are just some things to consider if doing the job yourself.

measuring one window wrong can cost you the price of a proper survey, so keep that in mind if you go down that route, inexperience can come up with many unforseen problems :)

Sponsored Links
Try asking around on Facebook for good local companys or even a fitter that is a friend of a friend, Recommendations are always a good way to go and as you have noticed stay away from the big nationals.

Measuring them well really is one of the most important parts.

Not difficult, did a whole house as we redecorated a few years ago.

Measuring can be tricky as you have to allow for brick edges being out of true.

Removing old windows not too big a job as they come out in pieces - they are scrap after all.

Fitting new is straightforward, the place I got mine was about 5 miles from home and provided a fitting kit with fixings and packings. If they won't get some plastic packing's and make sure tightening the fixings doesn't distort the frame.

Vents - match what is already there
Toughened - check the regs - it is essentially low level or in/beside doors.
Glazing new windows - easy, no mastic needed
Lots of masking tape to mask bricks and windows where you seal the edges.

Watch out for Bays - timber bays can support what is above and UPVC may not be strong enough on its own.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back