Insulating a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's,

Brand new to this site so please be gentle.

We have a victorian cottage and the loft has already been converted and is used as a bedroom. Unfortunately whoever did the conversion did not insulate the roof prior to panelling the room.

My question is can I simply take the panelling off, put insulation up between the rafters and repanel ?
If I can what insulation would I use.

Cheers
Steve

Sponsored Links
I have done several loft conversions and used various insulating materials and I have found PIR (poly-iso-cyanurate) which is a rigid type as apposed to the wool type rolls or bats, by far the best option, Its very light (you can hold an 8' x 4' sheet in one hand and its' easy to cut with a knife or a fine tooth saw)....... Your panels would need to be removed and depending on the type of felt you will need to consider wether or not to provide additional ventilation.

Check out the link below, it’s a pdf file that I use to determine the thickness of sheets etc.

http://www.celotex.co.uk/appl/PDF/SOL_BUR.pdf

Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back