Insulating a steel shed

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi folks,

I recently put an 8x5 meter steel shed.
The exterior is sprayed corrugated aluminium sheeting, with a 40mm box iron frame.

I am going to line the interior of it with 6-9mm marine plywood.
So I can hang things on, and lean things against the wall.

However I was thinking of also putting a moisture barrier/insulation behind the ply.
To reduce (but not eliminate) the airflow in and out of the shed.

I have some tools out there that I like - including a ride-on lawn mower.
I would like it to be a little bit less like Siberia out there.

The guy who built the shed suggested closed-cell spray foam, as the best solution - seems to be pricey. I was thinking more like Super-quilt, just as a moisture barrier?

Any better suggestions?

Ray K

Sponsored Links
Without a heat source in the shed, insulation will only buffer the harshest extents of the coldest and hottest spells. Absent a heat source and with excellent insulation you will only delay the inevitable matching of internal and external climate. Not something entirely unworthy. Providing the outer sheds water, then air flow is your friend as condensation will likely be a problem if air flow is poor. Increase air flow and you lose the temperature control. Is the base damp proof?

I have a 4m x 3m metal shed, had to add vents to prevent condensation on the inside. Dry as a bone now..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back