1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Insulating / boarding a conservatory roof

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by chris010569, 29 Jan 2020.

1. chris010569

chris010569

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Afternoon all -

Apologies if this topic has been done to death already - I can't find it, if it has.

My Conservatory is glazed in hollow-section Polycarbonate / PVC type stuff, as I'm sure many are. It's blooming freezing. I'm a competent joiner, and can't see any real issues with insulating and boarding it out (ie - from the inside - some studwork against the existing ceiling, a layer of insulating material, and over-boarded with pine cladding or suchlike). HOWEVER - I can see a potential issue with condensation. As I write this, it's dripping a bit on the inside because I just put the heating on. It's not leaking - it's pooling condensation on the ceiling members, which drips down. SO of course - wouldn't want to be sealing that all up with insulation and timber.

My question is - have any of you guys got any experience of doing this, please, and did condensation turn out to be an issue (and if so, what did you do to solve it? )

Thanks to all in advance !

Chris.

Last edited: 29 Jan 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If there is no void then moisture can’t enter to condense.

4. chris010569

chris010569

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That's a good point I suppose - cheers. But surely moisture just exists in the air anyway ? If you're a water molecule, then a cubic centimeter (of "void") counts as quite a large place to condense, surely ?

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don’t leave a void .

6. Sponsored Links
  7. chris010569

chris010569

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your comments mate but - can you please share your definition of "void" ? As per my previous - it will be impossible to leave no empty space whatsoever, when packing out and boarding the ceiling - and an airborne water molecule will see a cubic inch as an enormous "void", wouldn't you agree ?

8. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  9. chris010569

chris010569

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You either know what you're talking about, but you're too rude / arrogant to bother explaining it properly - or you don't know what you're talking about, and you just like trying to seem "clever". Either way - thanks for your contribution - I'll take it from here.

10. Alastairreid

Alastairreid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Last edited: 31 Jan 2020
  11. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local