Insulating/Dampproofing Metal-Roofed Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a shed build with a single skin of blocks and with a light metal corrugated roof, sloping down from the front to the back. My neighbour has the same thing; they are joined with another single skin of blocks between them.

When I purchased the property I was concerned at the damp in there and advised to fill in the holes created by the corrugations between the roof and the tops of the walls, which I did with expanding foam. Now of course I realise this was the wrong thing to do, as the condensation problem is now worse.

What's the best thing I can do with this? I'd like to make it as warm as possible so it can be used (with a fan heater) in the winter, but above all I need to stop/reduce the damp, which I think is mainly condensation. I could attach polystyrene insulation boards to the bottom of the roof, which I guess would reduce the condensation generated and would certainly make it drop down only in certain places. Do I need to remove the expanding foam that I used to fill the gaps at the edges, or only free up _some_ of the holes, to get airflow going?

I've taken a couple of pictures of the arrangement.

http://www.burk.co.uk/shed1.jpg
http://www.burk.co.uk/shed2.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Heat will be of no help, it only allows the air to support more moisture and leave more condensation behind, you could put up an insulated ceiling [plasterboard with rockwool above] and open a few of the foam filled areas to allow ventilation, this drastically reduces the moisture content in that area and the ventilation will allow any moisture dripping onto rockwool to dry out.

Thanks. Unfortunately the metal roof has been sealed to the back of the front elevation so it's not easy to get "through ventilation". I was thinking of drilling some 12mm holes through the blocks at the front, ending up inside the corrugations. I could then, as you say, put a ceiling up just below these, leaving some space (how much?) for air flow and then rockwool and then plasterboard.

What do you think?

Hello, I have the same problem - metal roof etc. I have done away with the roof as this was the cause of the damp and condensation. I have put up a felted roof and carpeted the floor. What I need to know how would I ventilate this shed as there are no windows and it will have power soon. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Always better to start a new thread.
You can put vents in the wall/ door etc.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back