Insulating loft boards over existing chipboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if this can be done.

Our loft has the central part of it boarded with chipboard and to avoid any major work taking the old stuff up and laying down some new insulated loft board I was wondering if it could be just screwed down onto the existing chipboard?

Or would it be better to try and take the old stuff up to see whats under there first?

Sponsored Links
You could lift the boards for peace of mind if you wish but in all honesty I'd just go ahead with your original idea and insulate over the top, it'll be ok.

cheers - I'm all for the lazy option on things like this.

Couldn't think of any logical reason why it wouldn't work, just need to get rid of this years lot of cluster flies first before I start :)

Does the existing insluation come right upto the flooring, or is there an air gap, the latter would scupper this plan, but otherwise it old appears odd to me not wrong.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
I'll check before I start but I'm nearly 100% sure the existing insulation goes up to the board underneath from what I can see on the edges of it

if you put rigid foam insulating boards on top of the chipboard, you can put a new floor on top of that.

with fibreglass, you would need new timbers to support the new flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back