Insulating Loft Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've recently found myself the custodian of a 1930s terrace. The loft has some insulation, but it doesn't really appear to go above the beams. So, I'd like to add some more.

I understand I need to be mindful of creating a damp loft, however, I have the type of loft that has no felt it's just a big old breezy space up there. I presume that rather removes the threat of condensation as the loft is so very well ventilated?

There's also an old metal water tank up there. How do people insulate under them? Maybe they insulate the inside of them?

Thanks,
James

Sponsored Links
No insulation underwater tank. Slab insulation around sides and over the top.
Rest of loft use the thickest (200mm) rolled out at right angle to the existing insulation. Don't let it touch slates/tiles.

I may not have been completely clear. The water tank is empty... when we moved in there was a new plastic one (in addition to the metal), but that's now been removed as we changed the boiler.

I assume the metal tank was left for fire/cutting reasons.

James

Sponsored Links
whenisayjump, good evening.

if your loft has a really good flow of air, then that alone will assist in keeping it free of condensing water.

Is there a membrane below the roof tiles / slates?

As for the old tank? is it still attached to pipework? if you can lift it stuff insulation under it as far as you can.

It is a very common occurrence where the old redundant steel tank is abandoned when a new system is installed.

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back