Insulating single brick bay with Gyproc ThermaLine SUPER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

The upstairs bay windows in my house are single brick and over time mould grows on the inside wall.

I was planning to insulate the area with 90mm Gyproc ThermaLine SUPER insulated plasterboard and bond the boards to the wall with Gyproc Dri-Wall Adhesive.

My concerns were:

1. do i need to strip the wall back to the bare brick?
2. do i need to treat/paint the wall to seal it before I fix the boards.
3. should i use wooden battons instead of Gyproc Dri-Wall Adhesive.
4. the insulated boards have a perforated layer covering the insulation - is this the vapor barrier? or should i just peel this off as it looks like it'll come off anyway!
5. I was going to butt joint the boards together. do i need to cover the joints with anything?

Sponsored Links
Mould grows because you have insufficient ventilation, insulation is not a solution, the mold will move to the nearest cool surface.

Its not a timber frame.

I'm aware that ventalation will reduce mould but the room is cold and need insulating anyway.
I though by adding insulation there might be a chance that the inside wall wont be as cold and might get rid of the mould if not then i'll add some vents.

Sponsored Links
Lack of insulation can cause mold growth, the cold is condensing on the coldest surface of the external walls; the single skin.

A wall with no insulation will encourage condensation and mold growth. Ventilation on its own is often not enough to prevent condensation in buildings with inconsistent insulation.

Is it just bare brick on the outside or rendered? Has it always been dry? In any case I would be stripping off the plaster, coating with a couple of coats of RIW (bituminous paint) and then fixing timber battens then screwing your thermaline to these. Butt the joints up close. Skim over the lot.

Not sure what you mean when you say perforated layer, does it not look like this;

Gyproc_ThermaLine_Plus2.jpg

This may be of use http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/SB07_DriLyner_04.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back