Insulating solid walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, this topic again - loads of posts but I can't find one relevant.

We were advised to use stuff similar to Sempatap to insulated the external walls - which is fine.

Sempatap is bloomin expensive but the builder named something else and for the life of me, I can't remember what he said.

Does anyone know of the same but different to Sempatap?

Sponsored Links
was it Celotex or Kingspan?

It makes a difference if you mean to insulate the outside or the inside.

Its a daft product that will bear little gain the same as its competitors. Just use proper insulation and plasterboard. Anything 10mm thick just won't do much. Put up with cold rooms or lose a little extra space.

Sponsored Links
It was for internal walls and I just cannot remember what he called it. Rockwall seems to ring a bell.

I asked him to quote me to dryline the walls and it was the builder who recommended this other stuff.

Insulating a room is an interesting project.
Keep in mind that usually the purpose of insulating a room, is to retain as much heat as possible within the room.
If you line the walls with Celotex PL3000, you merely heat the air in the room and the plasterboard lining.
Celotex PL3000 is fixed to the wall using plasterboard adhesive, dot and dab.
It takes up the minimum space and saves the maximum heat.
This is ideal where you require a quick heating up period.
Where you turn the heating down or off at times.

If on the other hand you are into keeping the heating on all the time, then placing the insulation on the outside of the wall is best.
In this case, when the heating season starts, you pile lots of heat into the room, you heat the air in the room and then the walls, as far as the outside insulation, the walls store heat and respond to changing temperatures producing a smoother transition between night and day.

And lets not forget the cost of having the insulation (or the daft product the OP suggested) has had recommended, adjusting the skirtings, door frames, architraves, moving the light switches and sockets & radiators out a bit and completely redecorating. Yea rock on, that's gonna save you a packet! :rolleyes:

And lets not forget the cost of having the insulation (or the daft product the OP suggested) has had recommended, adjusting the skirtings, door frames, architraves, moving the light switches and sockets & radiators out a bit and completely redecorating. Yea rock on, that's gonna save you a packet! :rolleyes:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
You are very negative!
Once installed, insulation lasts the life of the building.
That no only improves comfort, it saves money.
You have choices......be cold miserable, with money in the bank?
Be warm and comfortable all year round at much lower cost!

+++++++++++++++++++++++
You are very negative!
Once installed, insulation lasts the life of the building.
That no only improves comfort, it saves money.
You have choices......be cold miserable, with money in the bank?
Be warm and comfortable all year round at much lower cost!
Not negative just realistic. I'm all for improvement but only if economical and if there is going to be a payback. Otherwise they may as well just crank the thermostat up a notch. So if the OP is gonna stay there for the rest of their life it may be economical but they need to do the math and then come back.

And what is all this +++++++++++++++++++++++ business?

Could it be wallrock thermal liner?
Its thinner than the stated 10mm though.

Have also seen a polysterene lining paper, don't know its trade/brand name. But a local B&Q had some a while back. Don't know if it's regularly stocked in other stores.
Wickes do it, or something similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back