insulating the loft rafters or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya this is my first post here... so hi to everyone.

We bought a small 3bed house about 18mths ago.. It was a family home built in the 1960s. The owner didn't care the property much.

Silly us, we didn't have a survey done on the house before we bought the property. After moving in we discovered the house has got no insulation at all. We are hoping to get the cavity walls insulated by British Gas at sometime.

During in the summer I laid top up insulation on the loft floor underneath the floorboards and its probably about 2inch thick (as use the loft just for storage). Now its winter again and the house is freezing.

If I was put polystyrene insulation between the rafters in the roof would that help keep the whole house warm or will this just keep the loft itself warm?

To hold the polystyrene in place I place to use aluminum thermal foil which would be stapled to the rafters.

I've read if do this to make sure there is a 50mm gap between the insulation and the roofing felt to allow the loft to breathe and avoid condensation.

I am generally hopeless with DIY so any tips or advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't all houses need EPC's before you buy.. did you not read it!?

Anyways.. insulating between the rafters wouldn't do alot, better to put in more insulation at ceiling level. I think its 12" of insulation they recommend now.. so 2 will do very very little..

Also look into grants for insulation normally can get them professionally done for 1/2 the price or less..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back