Insulation in unused fireplace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can answer this:

1930's build house, we've got an unused fireplace in our lounge, it obviously had a gas fire in there at some point as there's an aluminium flex flu coming down into the fireplace and a register plate about a foot above the opening.

We plan to line the fireplace and put shelves in it for DVD player, sky box etc. I'm going to line the top to stop dust etc raining down the chimney onto the electronics - that top lining will obviously need to have a vent in it to ventilate the chimney but can I put a layer of earthwool etc between the lining and the register to damp down the airflow to prevent actual draughts or am I just going to create condensation issues in the insulation?

Sponsored Links
Not totally sure, but your draught would mostly be upwards because your room will be warmer than outside so the buoyancy will push the air upwards.
You need ventilation to disperse any condensation but you also need to make sure the chimney is capped and no water coming down in the rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back