Insulation positioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick couple of questions about insulating my extension.

1, I'm using 150mm celotex between the roof trusses, do I push the board up tight to the felt and leave the air gap between the plasterboard and insulation or leave the insulation flush with the bottom of the trusses so the air gap is between the board and felt and the plasterboard is touching the celotex?

2, The existing single garage is becoming part of a bedroom, the external wall is single skin brick, bco says I need 100cm celotex for that wall, do I fit visqueen against the brickwork then the celotex or the celotex to brick then visqueen?

Do I need to batten the single skin to create an air gap before the above visqueen/celotex?

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
For insulation in the ceiling (between rafters/joists) the air gap needs to be between the underside of the felt and the top of the rigid PIR. The minimum gap is 25mm.

For the external wall insulation, it should go brick>membrane>insulation>plasterboard. Don't leave a gap between insulation and the wall.

Last edited:
For insulation in the ceiling (between rafters/joists) the air gap needs to be between the underside of the felt and the top of the rigid PIR. The minimum gap is 25mm.

For the external wall insulation, it should go brick>membrane>insulation>plasterboard. Don't leave a gap between insulation and the wall.

Hi I’m looking to insulate a wall like this and someone on my thread suggested no membrane was needed if the insulation was flush to the wall and taped and sealed. Is this not the case and if so I’d be grateful for a link to whatever membrane I need to use? Many thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back