insulation properties of hardwood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone managed to work out a comparison between carpet + underlay and hardwood flooring + underlay? I have some numbers but no idea if they are correct. Thermal conductivity (k) of good typical carpet + underlay = .05 (W/mK). Hardwood typically 0.17. Fibre or foam underlay 0.05. Translating to R values (thickness in m / k) gives R value of say 0.3 for 15mm carpet+ underlay, 0.1 for 18mm hardwood, 0.12 for 6mm hardwood underlay. So carpet + underlay at 0.3 is slightly better than hardwood + underlay at 0.22. I have avoided using American figures available on the web as these are imperial and confused the hell out of me until I realised. This might be a bit technical but I think it's important and there doesn't seem to be a real answer on the web, just carpet companies saying that carpets are much better and wood flooring companies telling the same story! We all know wood flooring feels much colder underfoot but with a good underlay it could be just as efficient? :?:

Sponsored Links
I'm flattered but already taken - you need to go to the 'lonely-hearts' websites for this sort of thing. Over 1200 posts too...you have my sympathy at this particularly difficult time of year.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back