Insulation to stop black mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm experiencing a bit of a problem at the moment with black mould in our bathroom which is upstairs.

Ive read pretty much every post on the topic on the Internet and am happy that it's caused by warm air riding and condensation occurring on the cold ceiling. The area of ceiling that it's occurring on is part of the pitch roof. I've been up in the attic and found that while there is insulation (above the ceiling of the rooms and not in the rafters), it doesn't go right down the pitched section. What I'm trying to say is that there is a 1m section of roof that is uninsulated. There is approx a 6 inch gap between the roof tiles on the outside and the wattle and daub ceiling. Can I fill this with insulation? There is no felt beneath my tiles so am I right in thinking that I do not need any ventilation gap?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this, i hope it makes sense!! I'm really confused now and need to get the black mould problem sorted.

Obviously I'm also sorting the ventilation issue sorted to which is probably exacerbating the problem but the house is just so cold!!

Thanks
Gaz

Sponsored Links
Leave 50mm of a gap between roof tiles and insulation, it will also help if you have a means of ventilation in the room, either by window or fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back