Insulation which quilted foil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been doing a little research to try to ascertain the best / cost effective insulation for the rafters in a loft conversion.

Found the following :-
Actis Tri-iso super 10
Solarguard U value 0.489 down 0.684 up ?
Alreflex bubble foil
SF19 Superfoil U value 0.16

Is there a comparison table for cost, size, U values etc ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

any more info? I too am looking to insulate house, and am confused about these foil products. The tech spec suggests they're good, but intuitively, they don't *look* as good as a big thick wodge of Kingspan or Rockwool... what are people's experience?

For the (unused) loft, choice is easy - slam down 200mm rockwool.

For big eaves cupboards, rafters are only 4-inch deep. Foil would seem to be best to preserve space, and avoid additional battening that would be required to have 200mm wool. But does foil "do the job"?

For subfloor (timber suspended over 4 to 6 foot cellar), part has been done with wool held up with garden netting. There's a product called "FoilTec Floor" available from Screwfix..... is it as effective? A dash sight easier to install, but it just looks too weedy? And is subfloor insulation really a winner?

Please, any experiences or thoughts, I'd really like to hear from you.

I've only ever used the Tri-iso make and it was fine but as JohnD said your local BC may not allow it nowadays.

Sponsored Links
Ah, but I'm not doing a conversion - I only want to insulate - so BCO shouldn't care?

Fair enough.... I just hijacked John's thread, as it seemed appropriate, and it looks like he never did get an answer to his Q :)

If your only insulating your loft, then you dont need to bother your BCO.

How-ever if you changing the space into a "LIVING" space, ie adding walls, partitions, lights, electric sockets etc etc, then BCO should be informed....

Indeed.

Now back to topic - how effective are these foil-based insulation products (quilted multi-layer or not) for lofts, and is the very thin FoilTec product really any good for sub-floor?

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back