Insurance companies - getting work done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was with Sheila Wheels and I had a leak in my house.

The water escaped from the back of the toilet, and damaged the flooring in the toilet room, the carpet outside this room and the laminate below in the kitchen and hallway.

We decided not to claim for the carpet, as we would lose 7 years no claims on our contents insurance and the 100 excess, for just 200 of carpet.

The loss adjuster came out, and initially offered 700 to get all the work done to repair this, after lots of negotiation, he up'd the quote to 1200. Our excess is 200 so they offered us 1000 to employ someone to do the work for us.

Sheila's Wheels do not have there own tradesmen unfortunately, so give you the cash to sort these things out.

On getting some quotes, just for the flooring, the quotes are coming in at over 2000.

The insurance companies are now saying we need written quotes for:

The electricity used by the dehumidifier
The cost of re-installing the kitchen light and wiring the socket back up
The cost of re-painting the ceiling
The cost of removing and reinstalling a toilet and sink sitting on the damaged floor.

My wife is 31 weeks pregnant and this is really going to drag out, wish I had gone with an insurance company who just employed people to do this all for you.

I will probably end up just doing most the work myself as we don't have time to get all the quotes in and the work done before my wife gives birth otherwise.

Has anyone had experience of this, what is the quickest way of getting written quotes for the insurance company?

Sponsored Links
Builders don't like given written quotes for insurance companies as they know all the customer wants is the written quote.

That is the problem I am experiencing, trouble is, if they can do the work quickly, I really would employ them - I am sorted on the flooring I think, a nice bloke has quoted for that and hopefully the insurance will approve it tomorrow and I can then employ him to start the work.

I am not looking to make on this in any way and trying to play fair with the insurance company, they are really not making it easy - as a DIY-er as well, I don't have a clue how much the items mentioned in my original post would cost to do/install.

Builders don't like given written quotes for insurance companies as they know all the customer wants is the written quote.

I have been finding over the past few years more insurance companies have been making the cheques out straight to the contractor.

Sponsored Links

I have been finding over the past few years more insurance companies have been making the cheques out straight to the contractor.

I can totally understand them doing that, it is ripe for fraud otherwise.

I have just renewed my insurance with another insurance company who have there own contractors to put everything right for you should something go wrong. Worth paying the extra for - I am phoning the insurance company twice daily at the moment with the various quotes, emailing them over, getting them approved etc... total pain!

I went to quote for an insurance job recently. Was called by insurance company a couple of weeks later to answer a few questions about my quote.

At the same time I asked if they pay client or contractor and they said as their contract was with client, they would be paying them and I would have to invoice client for the quote. I turned the job down because of this.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back