Insurance job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Following some flood damage to my 20 yr old kitchen, my insurance co. sent a guy around to assess the damage.
This was his plan:
To replace tiled floor with tiled floor
To remove base unit doors
To remove worktops & sink
Then to fit new base units and refitting the old doors & the old worktops.

I have to say I found this unbelievable. Why not just replace the whole lot....surely a 20 yr old kitchen won't go back together properly?

Any advice or opinions would be most welcome as to who's right here

Sponsored Links
garethgas said:
Then to fit new base units and refitting the old doors and the old worktops.
I have to say I found this unbelievable. Why not just replace the whole lot....surely a 20 yr old kitchen won't go back together properly?
Opinion: Numpty! :rolleyes: I reckon he's having a larf! :LOL: I certainly did when I read that. I wouldn't fancy trying to get a 20 year old top off and back on again, they're generally a bit blown at that age..... My experience is that when you try to take the bits off that they do tend to self-destruct at least half of the time. I doubt you'll find too many kitchen fitters who'll be keen to take this on. Fortunately quite a few 20 year old kitchens don't come with what we now regard as standard size doors - maybe yours is one of them..... Just out of interest, it's not something out of the ordinary and worth keeping is it (like an antique MFI :confused: )

Scrit

perhaps he's just going to price for replacing the damaged bits (fair) and hopes you'll offer to pay for the rest.

Might be worth you offering to pay for a new worktop - that's quite hard to trim and fit with non-square walls... you could always keep an eye out later for some elegant new doors as they're so easy to fit yourself next time you want a new look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back