kitchen water damage quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my sisters house was damaged due to burst pipes over xmas, the nearby kitchen units are write offs, the insurance are going to take care of it but only the nearest carcase and worktop, we have had a local joinery firm out for a quote and they said

1000 quid for a 2000mm worktop , cut out for a sink, no joints just scribe to wall and a large ish carcass, this really cant be right can it?

what should it be?

thanks tom

Sponsored Links
what did the insurance say ??

usually get 3 quotes then they give the go ahead
but dont do anything untill you know there requirements

the insurance just said get a quote, dont care who, just said its only for one base unit and a worktop though

im only an apprentice but i knew that they were havin a laugh £1000

i could do it myself for less than a tonne

thanks tom

Crikey, at that price, I could probably do with one of those jobs once a month, then take the rest of the month off. ;) ;) ;)

If the insurance company have accepted that quote, then their assessor needs his head examining.

Sponsored Links
a misunderstanding somewhere or " eyes light up" insurance job :eek:

The OP hasn't mentioned materials and finish - what the existing worktop and carcase are. Could be handmade, hardwood, needing bespoke manufacturing and finishing, then fitting, possibly hand painting - so until this is known the £1000 quote is difficult to comment upon.

hi thanks for the help, its all veneered chipboard, c*ap really,
if i went along to howdens or somewhere i could get it all for about 80 quid
, i think as big all says, insurance jobbie so they can charge stupid money

what do you think is a sensible quote for,

one bog standard base unit
and one bog standard worktop at 2000mm aprox

thanks again
tom

Bog standard base unit, around £40-£60, door for same £20. 2m worktop £60-£80. Labour to install and plumb sink in etc £100 (whole job should take less than one day)
Let's say £260 - £300 max,,,,, and the insurance company are happy to pay £1000????? Hmmm No wonder insurance premiums are going up all the time.

Bog standard base unit, around £40-£60, door for same £20. 2m worktop £60-£80. Labour to install and plumb sink in etc £100 (whole job should take less than one day)
Let's say £260 - £300 max,,,,, and the insurance company are happy to pay £1000????? Hmmm No wonder insurance premiums are going up all the time.
A company is going to charge by the day irrespective of the amount of work and will send a fitter and mate to install the units and a plumber [typically charge £200 per day around the South East] for the sink and factor in that replacing the worktop may cause damage to tile or wall covering and require a follow up visit, plus a site manager to check the works up to spec and then they add 40- 60% as they have overheads and need to make a profit they also have to take into account that if they bodge it they will have to redo at their own expense.

I'm not sure that any kitchen fitter would necessarily need a plumber with him to plumb in one sink. I prefer to do all my own wet plumbing, altering it as needed or even re directing water services. I only use a plumber for gas services in kitchens.
I still think a grand for the work the OP wants done is excessive.

I'm not sure that any kitchen fitter would necessarily need a plumber with him to plumb in one sink. I prefer to do all my own wet plumbing, altering it as needed or even re directing water services. I only use a plumber for gas services in kitchens.
I still think a grand for the work the OP wants done is excessive.
I agree, could do the job myself in a day or less but company quoting is a joinery firm not kitchen fitters and they have to assume worse case scenario's as they are giving a fixed price.
You could arrive and find the leak has damaged flooring while doing the install and need to strip out more of the kitchen to sort it.Insurance company will still hold them to the quote.Or if not you would have to wait for them to visit re-assess before you can complete, all costs your time and money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back