Kitchen floor redo options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just over a year ago I had a leaky rising main stop cock under the sink. This caused some water damage to the laminate floorboards. The separation and bubbling continued to get worse however, so I decided to pull the worst damaged board up to see if there was any other water, but underneath it was as dry as a bone! (mind you it was seriously hot yesterday).

I was planning on replacing this floor soon anyway, so no biggie, but I am at a bit of a loss as to how or what to replace it with. And I would appreciate some guidance before I and get someone to quote. My concerns are:
  • The floor runs under the worktops and units all the way to the wall (this was a newish kitchen refurb when we moved in 10 years ago) so even removing these let alone replacing them will be difficult.
  • I assume replacing only the damaged boards is probably unfeasible given I don't know the origin of the originals* - size & colour matching + the difficulty of the tongue and groove + any unseen damage appearing later.
  • I would be happy with a vinyl / lino floor, replacing our small entrance hall with like for like at the same time, but perhaps with a different pattern so the hall doesn't have a "kitcheny" feel. What kind of things should I be mindful of here?
Thanks for reading, any comments are much appreciated.

*frustratingly, the previous owners left some leftover boards in the garage when we moved in and I ended up chucking them out - life lesson learnt!

Sponsored Links
Get it all up. Use a multi tool to cut the boards at the kitchen legs. what’s the subfloor ?

Get it all up. Use a multi tool to cut the boards at the kitchen legs. what’s the subfloor ?
thanks for the reply, the subfloor is some kind of compacted board (mdf like) and then concrete under that I think. There is a thin layer (~3mm) of some kind of insulating sheet also - would it be okay to adhere the vinyl to this?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back