Interest rates up

PS. Anyone seen any savings rates actually going up yet?

No, but as expected, I've had a letter from a credit card company saying they're putting up the rate by 3%

Is that the same?

Sponsored Links
3%....what a bunch of crooks!
They all are...

Just seen this:

"Nationwide is not passing on last week’s Bank of England’s 0.25% rate rise in full to savers in the first sign that big financial institutions will use the base rate to increase profit margins.

The building society, one of the biggest mortgage and savings institutions in the UK, said that while its tracker mortgage customers will see a 0.25% rise in their payments, many of its savers will see only a 0.1% increase in rates.

Nationwide is the first large player to announce its new rates, in a move likely to be followed by the high street banks.

The society’s base mortgage rate will rise by the full 0.25% from 2.5% to 2.75%, while its standard variable rate will increase from 3.99% to 4.74%*

However, Nationwide’s Loyalty Isa, Flex Isa and Loyalty saver rates will increase by only 0.1% to 1.1%. The rates on instant access accounts will rise by 0.15%"

*Thus clouting those trapped in mortgages they can't change the hardest!

I happened to notice just now that the Premium Bond Prize Fund is currently at 1.4%

As the prizes are randomised, your chances of winning a prize on any particular bond in any particular month are tiny, but if you tuck some away for a period, your return will tend over time to move towards the average, especially if you opt for "prizes reinvested into more bonds."

Most likely you will get a trickle of £25 prizes. Best not to pin your hopes on willing a million.

It's tax free.

Sponsored Links
So in which direction do you think interest rates are going?

And how much of a LTV ratio/total loan do you think the average recent mortgage holder has?

Interest rates have been too low.

Interest rates have been too low.
Because borrowing is too high, but people need to borrow because of the high cost of living.
(And maybe you didn't notice that 'little crash' a decade ago?)

Governments (at the banks behest) wish to return rates to a more 'normal' (more profitable) level.
However they can't do this without forcing the majority into relative or absolute poverty given said borrowing levels.
(Or should I say they are working out a way do it slowly whilst keeping the tiny minority very happy!)

And the pound continues to fall...

I guess the currency markets must really have faith in the UK's ability to go it alone :ROFLMAO:

No deal..soft deal...hard deal...who knows...Hopefully hard..But for sure.The UK will not be back in the EU for a long long time...If ever...so twist forever remoaners.Of course the currency is all over the place..Speculation FFS....Uncertainty..Anything is better than the certainty of more crap from the EU.

What 'crap' exactly?

Quitters have never explained that!
Ellal...unless you live in a cave and cannot read..you have heard the arguments for and against the EU by now..give over yourself

Ellal...unless you live in a cave and cannot read..you have heard the arguments for and against the EU by now..give over yourself
Actually no quitter has ever explained exactly what the EU has done to them personally that made them want to vote to leave...

And you have just done the very same thing - namely avoiding answering a very simple question!

I would really like to know btw!

Actually no quitter has ever explained exactly what the EU has done to them personally that made them want to vote to leave...
The EU has done nothing to me personally!..If you looking for answers..go educate yourself ..not wait for arguments with other people.I love to cycle round Europe on my bike meeting the people.but do not think Common mkt...morphed into EU,dominated by Germany...adding on other countries and expecting it to all work,is the answer to anything...One topic alone.Currency..Keeping the pound stable etc..interest rates etc in UK is complicated enough...Oh..lets give the same currency to many countries..then wonder why its an utter mess!

The EU has done nothing to me personally!..
So there is no actual problem for you with the EU is there...
One topic alone.Currency..Keeping the pound stable etc..interest rates etc in UK is complicated enough...Oh..lets give the same currency to many countries..then wonder why its an utter mess!
But we're not in the Euro and have a permanent veto on joining it...
(and interest rates are a global banking/economic issue)

So again, no problem with the EU there!

However maybe you might enlighten us on the reason why our currency has dropped so much in value since the vote?
(Especially important because as you say you apparently wish to 'keep the pound stable')

And you might want to address the reason why the UK is currently at the bottom of the growth league in not only the G7 but the G20!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back