Intermittent Boiler - could it be Mains Gas Pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friends

My central heating boiler is playing up. It works some of the time but is intermittent. When it does not work it appears to try and start but then stop itself before the burners properly ignite. It waits a few seconds and then tries again. I can hear the click of a solenoid on and off with each try.

What I have noticed is that when it does not work the timing is not random but instead at what must be the busiest times of day for gas usage. Before and after these periods it will run correctly. This would also explain why it worked fine until it started getting cold outside - it would wouldn't it!

Is it possible that it is responding to mains gas pressure? Does this happen or is it even possible? If that is the case is it almost certainly a faulty sensor in the boiler I would assume or could I actually have a mains pressure issue?

The boiler and house are about 11 years old. The Boiler is a Potterton Suprima and I think it is a 70L. It has had the main circuit board replaced.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
It could be a faulty meter govenor, you need a RGI to check if this is the problem.

It could be a faulty meter govenor, you need a RGI to check if this is the problem.

Thanks Picasso. What is a RGI?

I would guess that I need to contact the gas company if the problem might be in the meter.

Sponsored Links
Gav, absolutely.

To be honest I know it is likely to just be another faulty circuit board on the boiler or one of a number of other faults I could not even guess at. I have got a plumber booked to come and sort it. I was just curious that the failures so far have coincided with particular times of day and whether pressure variations could be why I see these cycles. I am assuming from the response that opinion says "no" it is unlikely.

My prefered solution, at the moment, is to replace the whole boiler if it is a boiler fault. That may be a bit extreme but I have not enjoyed owning the Potterton and would be glad to see the back of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back