Intermittent ignition spark on Bosch gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - any ideas appreciated.

I have 2 rings where the spark is intermittent and I need to use a lighter to get them to catch light. Then they work later on that day, then not, then they do work.

Really can't live with it.

Any ideas appreciated

Sponsored Links
I have the same issue, 2 of the rings stopped sparking entirely.

Heard from the previous tenant that this had happened before, usually after food spilling onto the stove or the like. They suggested cleaning the sparkplugs would help.

I gave the whole stovetop a good cleanup, and it seems to have worked to an extent. Now the two rings spark a bit more like normal, although still intermittently skipping a few sparks.

I haven’t wrapped my head around why the two of them seem to be tied together, and whether grime getting into the system is causing a block vs a short.

Since I originally posted , I did a lot of searching and reading. I applied superglue to the ceramic part of the sparker, let it set, and ....no improvement.
Bizarrely , I find that the first light of the day is hard and needs a hand with a BBQ lighter, then most of the rest of the day, it eventually lights after a couple of attempts.
But, it's still annoying me , but not enough to spend lots of £'s getting new ignition etc

I find that the first light of the day is hard and needs a hand with a BBQ lighter, then most of the rest of the day, it eventually lights after a couple of attempts.
But, it's still annoying me , but not enough to spend lots of £'s getting new ignition etc

Which suggests moisture or condensation shorting out the high voltage ignition system.

Sponsored Links
Which suggests moisture or condensation shorting out the high voltage ignition system.
But wouldn't that sort itself out after a few days, as the moisture would be burnt off after a few mins? We don't have pans boiling over with any regularity, maybe once a month on one ring at most.

So a really thorough clean with wire wool or something 'softer' ?

Just clean and dry plus maybe check under the panel where the ignition unit is, to make sure all the HV wiring is clean. For my hob, it is really simple. You just lift the grids off, the burners and the control knobs, then the nuts onto which the grids locate, bolt the panel to the frame below. Isolate the power, before your start.

Just clean and dry plus maybe check under the panel where the ignition unit is, to make sure all the HV wiring is clean. For my hob, it is really simple. You just lift the grids off, the burners and the control knobs, then the nuts onto which the grids locate, bolt the panel to the frame below. Isolate the power, before your start.
Thanks for that tip(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back