Intermittent power to conservatory after pressure washer use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of weeks ago we used a pressure washer, plugged into one of the sockets in our conservatory. After a while, it stopped working, but we assumed a thermal cutout on the pressure washer. We left it to cool down and then moved it to another socket the other side of the house to use it for something else, and it was fine.

However we seem to have lost power from both of the double sockets (on opposite sides) in the conservatory. Strangely, it has working a number of times since then, I watched TV in there one evening (but it consistently hasn't worked when I've tried since) and there's a lamp on a timer switch in there, and I've noticed that the timer seems to have advanced by a few hours at least once but is otherwise static.

The conservatory was added to the house (built about 10 years ago, so the electrics should be modern) by previous owners, so I have no idea how the electrics were modified to include the 2 extra sockets. My dad suggested that perhaps a fused spur would be required to add more than one socket to the ring main, but there doesn't seem to be one for this purpose, either in the conservatory or the kitchen that adjoins it (there is one there, but I'm fairly sure that it's for the boiler). None of the circuit breakers have tripped on the fuse box.

Any suggestions before I call in an electrician to investigate? Really confused that it seems to work sometimes rather than always/never...

Sponsored Links
Personally the first thing I would do is inspect all the sockets in the area for bad connections.

Sponsored Links
The greater the load the more evident a loose connection becomes. As the other guys have said, switch off the supply and check for a loose connection at each socket.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back