Intermittent version of FAQ 10) HOT WATER OK BUT RADS COLD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm experiencing a problem where the HW system is fine but CH sometimes stop working and rads get cold. This mostly happens when it is cold outside and therefore the CH is on for longer. You can get the CH back on by turning on HW and increasing the HW cylinder thermostat.

The motor for the Honeywell CH valve has been replaced but it the problem is still occurring. The valve motor seems to get very hot and sometimes I hear a buzzing noise.

My question is - does the valve need replacing (why does it only fail after heating has been on for a while?) or is this more likely an electrical switching issue?

Really grateful if someone could suggest an answer as I'm not sure if this requires plumber or electrician.

Kind regards,

James

Originally posted in wrong place - sorry

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...ting-faqs.175736/page-2#2553677#ixzz2AJC7nR5a

Sponsored Links
The valves leave the motor powered and stalled so they consume 6 watts which makes them warm!

You need a heating engineer!

Tony

Thanks for prompt reply - so you think the valve needs replacing? When the heating does not work the motor is hot to the touch - more than warm.

The valves leave the motor powered and stalled so they consume 6 watts which makes them warm!

You need a heating engineer!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I dont know whats wrong with your system. I have not visited you!

A motor valve is a prime suspect but may be something else.

A competent heating can diagnose!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back