internal floor level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when building a extention, if the ground is the same level as the existing house internal floor, does it need to be need to dug up and redone? there is no DPM under the floor.

Sponsored Links
To comply it will need insulating, this will need about an extra 80-100mm under the floor. So yes. Also depends on what the external floor is made of (I assume concrete?)

You must also take precautions against blocking any airbricks or grilles where the new floor abuts the (current) exterior wall.

im going to be extening ahead the kitchen which already has concrete flooring, hence i dont think i would need to worry about air bricks for the floor. (I'm guessing)
although i think i would still need air bricks for the caity wall, is that correct? please advise

You do not need to alter the existing floor, insulation and DPM will only apply to the new build part. Unless of course you wish to insulate the existing floor or it needs dampproofing. The building inspector is only concerned with new work.

Sponsored Links
i dont think i was clear in my previous post.
if my kitchen has a concrete floor then i guess it dont need air brick for the floor, hence when i build a extention infront of the OLD kitchen i wont need to channal any air pipes to the old kitchen floor as its concrete....?

i dont think i was clear in my previous post.
if my kitchen has a concrete floor then i guess it dont need air brick for the floor, hence when i build a extention infront of the OLD kitchen i wont need to channal any air pipes to the old kitchen floor as its concrete....?
Correct, no you won't

Thanks noseall, would i need airbricks for the wall cavity though?

ok, a little confusing. my living room is extended, has a concrete floor but has air bricks at the top of the wall. can you explain?

Room vents perhaps?

Cavities in modern buildings are not ventilated as air movement diminishes their purpose.

oh ok, i think i understand now. My living room has air vents. that means the air only enters in to in the living room not into the cavity as the brick is desinged to to only allow air into the room. correct

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back