Internal Insulation using loft insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Can you use loft insulation for internal cladding?

I have a unheated very small outbuilding which adjoins the house. In fact this goes under the stairs as well. So while it actually bridges the internal envelope quite poorly. So insulating it makes a lot of sense, hopefully creating a nice buffer space.

It is a small space and I have some loft insulation left over, can I use this? It seems quite similar to construction insulation which you would use in a stud wall. The thing is, this space is just storage, so it doesn't need to look pretty. Can I just tak/nail the insulation to the wall? One I found suggested against this on fire safety grounds. That makes some sense as its lots of small fibres which I would imagine to be very flammable but the packaging on the insulation says its class 1 which is the same the as bats. Another thought was to add foil insulation on top of this.

Would this work? Would it be better with an internal stuff wall/stud work? Or are the only two options insulation board or construction insulation and stud work?

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
You can use it if you have some left over. And you can try to set it on fire yourself if you like but I can tell you it will not.

sure you can

If it being used indoors, I would especially recommend the Knauf mineral wool that is treated with Ecose to prevent it shedding dust and fibres. It has a slightly silky feel and is much less or an irritant than the old stuff and less likely to make you cough..

IIRC it is also own-branded by Wickes and probably others.

Look for the name Ecose on the packaging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back