Internal Paired doors - Odd sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought our house and it has a set of internal doors that used to be the old patio doors before a conservatory was put on the back. We need to put a cat flap in them so that they don't sit open and let heat out but the bottom of the door is too high to put it in the glass and the wood at the bottom is too short to put one in there.

So now i'm looking to get replacement doors which would take the cat flap. However on measuring the doors I find they are 78" X 22" X 1.9" (1994mm X 559M X 47mm) and I find that this is about as far away from a standard size as is possible. Does anyone have advice on where to get doors that aren't of a standard size? I'm not a DIY expert by any means o the prospect of trying to cut down the doors isn't really one I'd entertain.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Avoid cutting down a pre-frabricated door if you can since you risk weakening the joints though this might be a risk worth taking depending on how often you use the door and if you need it to be full strength. Usual advice is to only take no more than a few mm from the edges.

I've had custom doors made in the past. Once, years ago, by a joiner who did a brilliant job and charged me peanuts for it saying he didn't charge extra for beauty and a good job.

More recently, in our last house, I had an internal door made by http://www.doorwarehouse.co.uk/. Nice door, costly, and took awhile but they were helpful.

If the bottom panel of the door is not big enough for a cat flap then it must be less than 12 inches. That means a can flap in the next panel up will be well within the reach of your cat !!! Try your cat out on a high set cat flap in a bit of board - see how it does !!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back