Internal wall materials in a timber frame building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I've had a timber framed office (posh shed) built in in my garden. Its roughly 2.5m deep, 4m wide and 2.5m tall. I am going to insulate between the joists and noggins (50mm Kingspan) and the board out the inside. My question is should I use:
1) plasterboard and then seal and paint it
2) ply wood sheets, then paint
3) OSB, then paint

There will be pictures, shelves, a dartboard etc hanging up and plasterboard appears to be the cheapest option but is it the best solution? What thickness would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Option 1 would be my choice.
If you intend to hang shelves or heavy objects and you have an idea where they will be, a bit of pre-planning and installing additional timbers for secure fixings would be advised.
12.5mm plasterboards are the standard choice.

Sponsored Links
What I was getting at was....if its actually a timber framed, waterproof membrane with counter batten cavity and rendered etc. Then plasterboard of any sort would be ok.

However, if its just a few sheets of OSB over a timber skeleton, i'd say not, even MR board. Just my opinion.

Need the detail on the construction to give a sensible answer

OK, thanks all.

Construction wise it’s a simple timber frame (2x4s) clad with ¾ inch vertical boards (approx 4 inch wide). No waterproof membrane or anything hence my concern over the standard plasterboard. I was intending to keep the insulation boards off the outer wall with a thin section of beading.

I’ve uploaded a couple of images (sorry for the quality but I think you get the idea).
[/img]

Not ideal. Any moisture getting past the cladding will need to go somewhere. It's fine as it is, its basically a shed. But you should consider adding insulated plasterboard over the internal walls, this will leave a good sized airspace behind the cladding but will eat into your roomspace, and leave deep window reveals. Not perfect, but it's what I'd do.

Oh, and use a breathable treatment on the outside. No gloss paint or varnish!

Thanks all for the advice so far. I've left the air space within the timber framing and attached 50mm kingspan boards against the frame internally to retain the air gap. On top of these I have mechanicaly fixed moisture resistant (green) plasterboard. My question is should I seal the plasterboard before painting? If so, should i use a 50:50 mix of paint and water or a PVA:water mix?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back