Internal Window Sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking at getting new windows for house, I have 2 quotes one with a local window company another with a supply only and builder.

Whats best for the internal window sill?

Window company says a MDF laminate will be best and maintenance free.

Builder says MDF and paint it, never heard of a MDF Laminate.

I dont want PVC, but I thought the says of painting window sills were gone? Can anyone advise what is best and most common these days?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Inside is a window board, outside is a window sill.

MDF laminate sounds bad, it will be a laminated sheet of MDF, so will scratch up just as easily as PVC.

MDF, primed and painted is still the best I know (Unless you want real wood finish), and it needs painting every 5 or so years, sometimes longer.

Yes window board is what I am referring too. Thanks for your info

I’ve never had to get windows newly installed before I was just taken aback with I heard MDF and I’d need to paint it, which of course is just maintenance at the start and then every few years.

The window company was actually a choice MDF or MDF laminate and they said the laminate was actually better overall. I know what you mean about marking like pvc but MDF I guess can also chip.

he may mean hard thermosetting ABS laminate, as used on kitchen worktops, which is very durable and doesn't need painting.

But I don't recall seeing windowboards with that.

Vinyl wrap is rubbish.

Some districts, especially old ones near central London, have the windowframes set back and no windowboards. Originally a fire precaution but continued as regional vernacular.

Sponsored Links
Tbh I don’t know the exact product name they just said it was a mdf laminate board, maintenance free. They did give the MDF option that’s comes with white primer then I would paint.

no difference in price but they seemed to recommend the laminate

I am getting them to plaster board finish and then I’ll get it plastered so there is no pvc trims.

Readers on here what would you say is best stick with the tried and tested mdf?

if i'm doing it for myself, then 20mm thick dressed bull nosed hardwood internal cill, h/w apron & curtain plate

I really did not like the internal hardwood window cills in our house. At some point they all seemed to get knocked loose and I put granite ones in. Looks much nicer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back