Introducing a two port valve to my semi gravity central heating system

I did a similar thing many years ago to limit HW temperature and waste of energy on a gravity HW system. A Honeywell valve was inserted in the gravity return to the boiler, near the boiler, and controlled by a cylinder stat. The auxiliary switch on the valve was used so as to interlock the boiler firing thus saving energy. As already emphasised make sure the feed/vent route is not compromised by the valve. I also fitted a pump to the gravity circuit later to improve recovery time after the morning rush in our household. Sorry, I can't remember the wiring details now but no relays were involved just the valve aux switches iirc.

Sponsored Links
Nigel F

My hot water cylinder was replaced ten years ago - old one weeping

I think there is a coil inside this tank and it's called a fortic or something?

the external pipe connections/ pipework is 22mm - this cyiltol valve is imperial 1" - will I have to do some pipework mods to accept this valve and will this step down in pipe size (25mm to 22mm) affect performance?

OK - you may have a fortic, a cylinder with a cold cistern on top. I am surprised that a gravity circuit is in 22 mm. Conventionally they are 28mm and the cyltrol is designed for that. Under the circumstances I would go with the electric valve, I've fitted many cyltrols but not to a 22mm circuit so can't say how it will perform.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone who contributed - I am now better informed as to the way forward

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back