Invasion of the Red People!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did some work for a good friend recently.

His Samsung TV, randomly, makes everyone look red but only when watching terrestrial TV. He can be watching HMDI sources and switch to terrestrial and all of a sudden, every on the TV looks like a very, very angry umpa lumpa.

red people.jpg

The above is a whatsApp image that he sent he sent me.

The TV is a Samsung QE43Q60RATXXU

He said that it happened first happened whilst under warranty. An engineer turned up and fixed it by swapping out a component.

The TV is no longer under warranty.

As I said, it only happens on terrestrial. He says that if he turns it off for a while it sorts itself out.

He is happy to open it up and replace parts as required. I suggested that it may, possibly, be down to the RF modulator, but I added that it is beyond my ken and told him that I would defer to the sages that occupy this tiny corner of the web.

He has one other TV that uses the same aerial. It is fine.

Help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I suggested that it may, possibly, be down to the RF modulator, but I added that it is beyond my ken and told him that I would defer to the sages that occupy this tiny corner of the web.

He has one other TV that uses the same aerial. It is fine.

It has nothing to do with reception, the aerial etc. and it will not have a modulator in it, rather it will be a fault around the demodulator, if other inputs work fine. Modern TV's use a single PCB usually, so it will be a case of swapping that out, unless you can trace it down to component level.

As the red areas are specifically targeting skin tone areas, it looks as if it is an automatic function and the process may be playing up.
Has he got/adjusted the 'Flesh Tone' function?

Cheers for the reply.

It happens randomly, I don't think it is down to user settings. Those same settings would presumably apply to his fire stick.

Sponsored Links
It has nothing to do with reception, the aerial etc. and it will not have a modulator in it, rather it will be a fault around the demodulator, if other inputs work fine. Modern TV's use a single PCB usually, so it will be a case of swapping that out, unless you can trace it down to component level.

He had mentioned that the engineer replaced a component rather than the whole PCB. I know the guy, he is intelligent. It just happens that it is not his area of expertise, hence I am here asking for advice.

Cheers for the reply.

It happens randomly, I don't think it is down to user settings. Those same settings would presumably apply to his fire stick.
The random part and only affecting skin tones, is why I suspect it is a software/hardware glitch - but I will definitely defer to @Lucid for this one! :)

Again I'm not sure about Samsung, but my TV has different picture settings available, for the individual inputs.

He had mentioned that the engineer replaced a component rather than the whole PCB
Because of the modular nature of modern TVs, I think it would be unlikely to change a single component - in the words of Big Clive, "There's not much inside TVs these days"! :)

Most TVs nowadays apply settings on a per input basis. So worth a check.

Check if it happens on both SD channels 1,2,3,4 (MPEG coding) and HD channels 101, 102, 103, 104 H.264). Drama is a SD only channel on Freeview.
It appears to have satellite tuners as well as terrestrial (Freeview) - are they the same? (Assuming a suitable sat dish connection is available to check).

If the TV has another spare hdmi input, then a Freeview Play PVR or Freeview set top box tuner would get round the "faulty" tuner-demodulator-decoder-RGB/YUV circuitry for that 'input' on the set. (The TV and Sat tuner modules are all in one 'can' on a spare parts website I found.)

Do check the set's firmware is up to date https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE43Q60RATXXU/ - especially if not routinely connected to the internet.

May be worth calling Samsung support as they can do some remote fault diagnosis if there is an internet connection to the TV.

He had mentioned that the engineer replaced a component rather than the whole PCB. I know the guy, he is intelligent. It just happens that it is not his area of expertise, hence I am here asking for advice.

You/he, could try spraying the freezer spray around the components, to see what makes a difference - you said it seems to be temperature related, clear after being off for a while.

Reply from my cousin .

We used to get this effect when the tcon gamma correction chip failed on the early LCD tvs , but not seen it on modern type . I will check with Samsung of any known issues.

Can u ask him to look in customer menu and see which version of software is running ?

Reply from my cousin .

We used to get this effect when the tcon gamma correction chip failed on the early LCD tvs , but not seen it on modern type . I will check with Samsung of any known issues.

Can u ask him to look in customer menu and see which version of software is running ?

Will do, many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back