Invincible mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently moving the back door to the adjacent wall, everything is all acro'd, i had been hopeful that the bricks would remove easily to fit the new lintels however the mortar seems to be more or less indestructable. i have been using a lump hammer and cold chisel and just dont seem to be getting anywhere.
Is there an easier alternative or tool that i could use.
And i have removed/taken down walls before without any trouble.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Jack hammer, Kango, diamond saw, large sledge, buckrake tine etc are all usefull items to do what you want.

when making new openings cutting is far better as it gives less stress on surrounding joints etc. A stihl saw will cut pretty much 4 inches and then you can just tap to break the last few mm. You have to overcut a little but be sensible about where is not appropriate to do this, ie under lintel bearings etc.

It is also much better for toothing out too as inevitably with a bolster/ chisel a brick will break somewhere you don't want it too and you end up having to take extra out etc and it becomes a real headache.

If you are going to hire one they are probably only 25 quid or something for a day. If you are hiring check if they have an arbourtech all saw as this is a perfect tool for square plunge cuts into masonary.

Sponsored Links
Drill as much mortar out as possible then chisel away?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back