IP rating for kitchen lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had an EICR performed on a flat and it has been given a C2 for the kitchen light not having a sufficient IP rating. I know there are zones in bathrooms that require IP rated lights. Is this true for a kitchen and if so what are the requirements.

Thanks in advance Dave

Sponsored Links
News to me, is it near the sink or something.
Though if the fittings damaged with holes in it then I quess that could be classed as having a poor IP rating

The sink has no cupboards above so no close under cupboard lights. I would have imagined a damaged fitting would be C1.

Sponsored Links
There’s nothing in BS7671 that requires that. The person doing the report should give you the regulation number that has been breached to deserve the c2.

Are you SURE it is IP rating? Perhaps it is fire-rating?
If the kitchen ceiling is a fire barrier and has another dwelling above, then having downlights without the necessary fire-rating would provide a thumbs down.

The flat is top floor with just our loft above.
Extracts from the DEICR are as follows

Part 6: observations and Recommendations states "Non IP rated light fitting in kitchen".

Part 10: Schedule of items inspected
8.6 Suitability of equipment for external influences for installed ( C2 )
location in terms of IP rating:
8.7 Suitability of equipment for installation in a particular zone: ( C2 )

So no detail of the regulation breached.

Also only measurements for 3 of the 8 circuits in the property are listed.

Are you SURE it is IP rating? Perhaps it is fire-rating? .... If the kitchen ceiling is a fire barrier and has another dwelling above, then having downlights without the necessary fire-rating would provide a thumbs down.
A "thumbs down", yes, but in relation to an EICR?? As you said ...

The person doing the report [EICR] should give you the [BS7671] regulation number that has been breached....

Kind Regards, John

The flat is top floor with just our loft above.
Extracts from the DEICR are as follows
In that case -

Part 6: observations and Recommendations states "Non IP rated light fitting in kitchen".
Rubbish.

Everything has an IP rating - tell him they are IP00. They are probably better than that.

What would he say if you had simple pendant lights - without a bulb?

Everything has an IP rating - tell him they are IP00. They are probably better than that.
I would imagine that anything legal to sell (for LV use) would probably have to be at least IP2X, since fingers being able to touch live parts is probably not regarded as too good an idea.

Kind Regards, John

Part 10: Schedule of items inspected
8.6 Suitability of equipment for external influences for installed ( C2 )
location in terms of IP rating:
8.7 Suitability of equipment for installation in a particular zone: ( C2 )

There is a general requirement in the regulations for equipment to be suitable for the location and environment, but there are no zones in a kitchen, only in a bathroom. In a bathroom the IP rating of lights etc is specified in certain locations, but not in a kitchen.

The only possible thought is that , in a HMO, the ceiling of the kitchen is a fire barrier.
As the flat is top floor with just your loft above, this might be the case to restrict the spread of fire through the roof space into other flats. But in that case, it is the fire rating of the lights that is a requirement, not the IP rating.

You need to have a discussion with the person who produced the report. It is wrong. And yes, all circuits should have been tested and the results recorded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back