Is a chimney pot necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a call from a tenant of mine informing me that a chimney pot is leaning on my roof. They also tell me that this is the only one they can see whereas the other houses down the street have 4.

I think this is because my house is an end terrace whereby the neighbours chimney stacks are back to back ie, 2 per side.

Anyway, when I had some building work done probably about 4 years ago I had one / both of the pots capped off. I dont know if there were originally 2 up there prior to the work done (there are two fireplaces so guess should be 2). The fireplaces are not used, have no fitted flue's and are boarded off inside the lounge / dining room.

My questions are;

1) Do I need to have a chimney pot at all, could it be left off?

2) The leaning pot should be uprighted and fixed but does anyone know how much this should typically cost?

3) Is scaffolding going to be required?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
A chimney pot is useful if you are using the fireplace. The tapered shape improves the updraught and also helps prevent downdraughts. It also improves the look of the chimney.

Just to clarify things.

The fireplaces are not used at all, they are just open holes right back to the brickwork. They have been boarded off just out of sight inside the living and dining room so that they can be used purely for decorative purposes.

I will need to find out a bit more about the chimney pot from my tenant (I live 3.5 hours drive away!).

If a pot isnt required then I won't go to the hassle of getting one put back up (unless loose).

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Unused chimneys should not be completely sealed off; you should have a vent at the bottom & a ventilated rain cap at the top to prevent direct rain ingress; inadequate ventilation could give problems with damp.

It's a basic job that a roofer/builder should be able to do for you, removing the pot or just reseating it.

Just get one thats recommended & not the first name you come across.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back