Capping a chimney pot to keep birds out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My house (1930's ex-LA) has two fireplaces, one "shared" chimney breast up through the house and two chimney pots. The downstairs fireplace is now filled with the boiler and fronted with a gas fireplace, like most houses around here - and one of the pots is metal and not the original, I presume from the gas fire.

The other fireplace is in the room above the first, and is somewhat smaller. It presumably leads to the older style chimney pot. It was bricked up, with a small ventilation plate, and I decided to knock it open to see what was there. "Dust" is the short answer, but also eleven dead birds.

I'd like to leave the fireplace open (with a "roof" inside it, of course) and don't want any more birds getting down - if I can get up on the roof will it be sufficient to wedge a ball of chicken wire down the chimney pot?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back