Is a dedicated air purifier better than a combo air purifier/dehumidifier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My question is pretty much what it sounds like - are combo units as good as dedicated purifiers or dehumidifiers, or are they mediocre at both tasks?

For context: I have a nasty combination of asthma and hayfever, so I'm planning to get an air purifier with a HEPA filter to remove pollen, dust etc. I already have a vacuum with a HEPA filter, but I can't realistically vacuum every day.

However, my house is also prone to damp and condensation - humidity usually hovers around 70-80% in winter. That can lead to mould spores, which are also bad for my breathing. Plus I tend to sweat like crazy in the summer, so less humidity sounds appealing. So now I'm wondering if it makes more sense to buy a combo dehumidifier & air purifier instead - something like the MeacoDry Arete One, for example.

What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Have you considered air conditioning? A split system will cool two rooms with minimal noise, it can also be used to heat in the winter and takes both pollen and humidity out of the air as part of the process.

Fix the house or your lifestyle instead of buying daft gadgets. If you can't fix the house or it's rented then move.

A dehumidifier will definitely help. Stopping the mould spores from filling the air would be better than producing them then trying to remove them. You shouldn't have mould anywhere in a house, this should be the priority.

But really the water source needs to be eliminated - e.g. rising damp, condensation etc.

Dehumidifiers might have a filter as part of the process, but they'll be bulkier and probably more expensive to run (energy and replacement filters) than a dedicated air purifier.

Dehumidifiers are also more likely to have a single filter, whilst dedicated air purifiers can have several including vaccumable pre-filters that prevent the more expensive HEPA filter being clogged up by coarser stuff and prolong their life.

I'd probably go for the dehumidifier, we have one for when we are washing clothes inside and the filter does pick up a fair bit of dust.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered air conditioning? A split system will cool two rooms with minimal noise, it can also be used to heat in the winter and takes both pollen and humidity out of the air as part of the process.
That would be nice, but that model costs the best part of a grand, whereas it looks like I can get a positively-reviewed purifier or combo purifier/dehumidifier for around £100-£150.

Stopping the mould spores from filling the air would be better than producing them then trying to remove them. You shouldn't have mould anywhere in a house, this should be the priority.
I agree, but preventing mould doesn't do anything to get pollen or dust out of the air. I could keep pollen out without a gadget by keeping all the windows closed, but A.) that leaves the house sweltering in summer and B.) it creates its own source of humidity because I've then got two adults and a cat breathing in an enclosed space with no air circulation. So I probably do need at least a purifier.

Dehumidifiers might have a filter as part of the process, but they'll be bulkier and probably more expensive to run (energy and replacement filters) than a dedicated air purifier.

Dehumidifiers are also more likely to have a single filter, whilst dedicated air purifiers can have several including vaccumable pre-filters that prevent the more expensive HEPA filter being clogged up by coarser stuff and prolong their life.

I'd probably go for the dehumidifier, we have one for when we are washing clothes inside and the filter does pick up a fair bit of dust.
Good to know! I didn't consider the potential cost saving of having pre-filters. What model of dehumidifier do you have, and how often do you find you need to change the filter?

Good to know! I didn't consider the potential cost saving of having pre-filters. What model of dehumidifier do you have, and how often do you find you need to change the filter?
I have an Inventor EVA ION PRO Wi-Fi 20L, but can't recommend it as it died and they don't sell them in the UK anymore. It was a witch recommended one too. I'm putting off buying a replacement for now.

I don't care much about the filter so it just gets a vacuum every now and again. Also the filter it includes is a tiny square, their HEPA filters are extra.

I don't care much about the filter so it just gets a vacuum every now and again. Also the filter it includes is a tiny square, their HEPA filters are extra.
It's probably crawling with bacteria, all being puffed into the air.

I'm allergic to pretty much everything - I used to spend most of the day sneezing, inside and out. I just take a tablet every day, does the job and I haven't died yet.

Back