Is a fire damper needed for extraction (domestic dwelling)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking for advice on conflicting information I have been given. I need to fit an extractor fan for a new internal toilet. The fan will be vertically mounted with the pipe work (100mm) running horizontally above the ceiling to an external wall. I've been told by an architect that I need a fire damper but due to the space in the ceiling I'm struggling to fit it. Someone else has then told me the fire damper doesn't apply to domestic dwellings. Who is right? The architect is a young lad and is he applying comercial regs to a domestic dwelling?
Ps. This is in Scotland

Sponsored Links
I've never come across this on England/Wales regulations for single dwellings, only when worrying about compartmentation between units. I'd ask the Architect to check the regulations to be sure that he is correct, he may well be but you are right to not just take his word for it.

As above, this wouldn't apply in England to a single dwelling. Scots regs may differ, though it would seem odd to consider the roof to need compartmentation from below.
Your arch. may not be sure and perhaps just covering himself incase.
Why not check with one of your local building inspectors at the council?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back