Position of Fire Doors within new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate an experienced or knowledgeable view on this topic...

In a detached bungalow, single occupancy dwelling with no attached workshop or garage and without the need for cavity barriers, do the building regs. require me to fit any internal fire-doors in a kitchen/diner + utility room extension?

I've trawled through the "Bld Regs 2010 Fire Safety Approved Document B, Volume 1 dwelling houses" and I don't see any specific mention of fire doors being necessary in my particular circumstances yet the architect has specified two fire doors (both FD30): one between kitchen/diner and hallway (leading to all other rooms) and one between kitchen/diner and utility room (which has a back door).

Both doors will need to be glazed and I will fit a fire door between kitchen/diner and hallway as I can see the point in that but I'm struggling to understand the need for the second one - utility room to kitchen/diner. If it's relevant, the kitchen/diner has sliding doors opening to outside.

As you probably know already, and I've recently discovered, glazed fire doors ain't cheap! Any help with this issue will be gratefully received, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Seems pointless to me on a bungalow but I'm no expert.
Your probably better off re-posting this in the planning and building regs section.
Also add whether this is a newbuild or some sort of renovation project as the regs can be different.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back