Repairing Fixing garage/utility room door for fire code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I just read this thread, and realise I could have a similar issue with our door connecting the house to a utility room (formerly garage).
Fitting door between kitchen and garage

The door is fire rated and has the brush intumescent strips intact around the top and sides. The previous owner had the door bottom cut for a pet flap. They've also unscrewed the chain auto door closer, which I'm partial to leave as it is, unless it's illegal to do so in a single family dwelling. On the pet flap, I've hidden the hole with two white plexiglass door kicker plates creating a cavity between them. What can I put into the cavity so that it meets fire code? I'm hoping not to have to put in a new door.

Sponsored Links
You are not allowed to cut holes in a fire door, so it no longer meets regulations.

Your plastic covers will melt and burn away very quickly. I suppose it would work better if you filled the hole with a tight-fitting block, and perhaps covered it, both sides, with an oversized steel plate screwed into place, while you order a new one.

Luckily new fire doors are not always very expensive.

Is yours flat or panelled?

Painted or veneered?

Nice to know. Kind of like the idea of keeping a kitty flap incase the neighbours cat has an extra in their kindle.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back