Fire door questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I have bought an old house with a partly finished extension. Part of the extension has included an integral garage with a fire rated door leading into the utility room that then leads into the conservatory and main house via a partially glassed external quality door. There fire door appears to be installed correctly with the correct gaps and quality of hinge etc but I have a couple of questions I would like to ask so I get it right first time.

A; There is a brand new Wickes intumescent seal kit in the garage to be fitted to the door and am wondering what type of adhesive to use to secure it with? (The door does have the relevant groove ready to take the seal)

B; Do I need to use a fire retardant varnish or paint to finish the door?
(At present it is bare wood)

C; There is no catch on the door as such, just a self closing unit. Do I need a catch as the closer shuts it fully and holds it there adequately to prevent drafts ?

Thanks Guys.

Sponsored Links
Normally intumescent strips are self adhesive, and need only to be fitted into the groove with snug fitting. You will be required to fit a suitable latch and a suitable door closing mechanism (building control) if there are no approved dwg's for the job, best check with your local building control officer.
Fire doors are rated, I presume yours must comply with "one hour" which is normal between integral garage and house, and as long as you don't finish it with a combustible material, it should be fine. Just follow the manufacturers instructions, if they are available, otherwise - http://www.firesafetyservices.co.uk/pdfs/FIRE DOORS Explained.pdf ...pinenot :)

Excellent. Thank you for your replay. Looking at the strip again I can see a strip of what looks like a pull off section right down the middle so I guess that's where the self adhesive part is.

You've got it, it's normally a mustard sort of colour, the tape...pinenot

Sponsored Links
I wont pull if until ready ti fit obviously :LOL:

That article you sent is very informative thank you. Answers a lot of my outstanding questions, plus some I hadn't even thought of yet !
When you take over a building project that has been started by someone else it is always a bit of a headache as you never know what you may find. Not having had much experience with fire doors in the past your help and advice is greatly appreciated. Need to get it right as I want to get the final sign off once complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back