Help fitting a fire rated door & frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a fire rated door between my new garage & the old garage, which is being converted into habitable rooms.

I have the fire rated door casing set and the seals and an old fire rated door.
There isnt any means of sealing under the door, does the gap that will be between the door & the floor need some sort of seal, or is that just left for smoke & fire to get under? if it does need sealing what do I need to do this.

Sponsored Links
You can get intumescent seals that go in place of the door threshold - these expand when heated and effectively seal the gap.
I've no idea what the current fire regs are, but they used to require a closer fitted to the door. In the older days rising butt hinges were ok.
John :)

Yes they still require a automatic closer.

Does it matter what side of the fire door the closer goes on, ie can it go in the garage where the greatest risk of the fire is or does it need to be on the other side, which will be a bit of an eyesore.

I am not actually fitting the door yet, I am needing to know for planning which way to open the door & positioning of light switches etc.

I have done a search on the web but don't seem to be able to find the answer.

Sponsored Links
how about fitting a perko?

Had to google that one, not sure if that would meet with building regs or not, but I did find some self closing hinges that look pretty good.

I think I managed to find out the info I was looking for, my interpretation is, if the door is self latching once the closer has closed the door, that's is job done, so it doesnt matter if the closer burns to a crisp after that.

So I am planning on opening the door into the garage and putting the closer on the garage side of the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back