External rated fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to find a door that will link my house to a new attached garage. This needs to be a fire door, but does it also need to be rated to deal with the thermal loss?

Is there a name/code for this other than 'external fire door'? It feels like I'm looking for a niche product, so wonder if I'm overlooking something. For instance, are all composite doors FD rated by default?

Thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links
Any minimum 30minute internal fire door will do. It doesn't need to be an external grade door, it's not external. Also need seals and a closer.

Consider security though and that perhaps a 60 minute job will provided a little more resistance.

Note that a 30 minute door is 44mm thick in most cases - 60 minute doors are thicker (generally 51 to 54mm) so the door casing will require modification to accommodate this

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys - that explains the trouble I'm having... I thought I was in £800 composite door territory for a while. I'll buy the door and frame as a set I think so presume it'll come with the seals and will check re: the closer.

Sponsored Links
I'll buy the door and frame as a set I think so presume it'll come with the seals and will check re: the closer.
I"ve generally found that pre-hung sets came without the intumescent/brush seals, possibly because different clients have different specifications, e.g hospitals, medical centres, labs, etc often specify the rubber wiper type of cold smoke seal as opposed to the more common brush pile variety. Similarly for primer only sets the supplier would need to know the finish colour (strips come in white, brown or black in the main). Worth confirming with your supplier, although firms like Travis Perkins, Howdens, etc always stock them

Closer is always supplied by the user/installer. Ironmongers Direct is one source

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back