Is a larger more powerful motor likely to be louder or quieter (cooker hoods)?

all extractor fans in the world,
ok you got me. I don’t know all the details about every extractor everywhere in the WORLD turns out i’m flawed after all. what a ridiculous argument you put forward.

Sponsored Links
benny, please. Generally people only use larger motors/fans/ducting because they have to to get the higher rate they need. If you don’t do that, but just increase the size while keeping the rate the same, then the larger thing will be quieter. It’s just that no-one ever installs large fans/ducts when they could get away with a smaller one because £££. If you really really need as quiet as possible and don’t care about cost then undoubtedly larger diameter fans (running at low rpm) and larger ducts will be quieter.
I generally find that people spending 10 grand on a kitchen aren’t particularly concerned in the differential in price between a cheaper or dearer extractor , as , lets be honest in the grand scheme of things it’s a trivial amount of money.
people spending thousands on kitchens in my experience want the biggest extractor that’ll fit and shift the most air regardless of noise with the aim of maintaining the longevity of the new look kitchen.
smaller extractors are basically useless, and the quieter they are the more useless they are. they shift virtually nothing even when ducted outside. and before you start quoting specifications , i’m not interested.
larger more noisy extractors with larger ducts up to 150mm that maintain high speeds shift large amounts of air/steam/smells from the room and are noisier and the only form of kitchen extraction i’d entertain personally.
it’s just my opinion based on REAL life experiences.
and your’e welcome to your opinion without question.

Hi all

Apologies for not coming back to this sooner. And sorry also for sparking off a row!

It's funny because I built my own PC about 10 years ago for a music room, and I bought bespoke quiet case for it. That works on the principles that have been described. It uses larger than normal fans running at lower RPMs so that there is sufficient cooling with minimum noise. So I guess that concurs with some of what has been said here. I must say also that in everything I read on the internet, it was unanimous in as much as larger ducting = less noise. The 90cm and 100cm Luxair hoods have the same ducting size requirements in any case.

It's a shame that Luxair don't have more info about the motors in their units, but I tried them and they said the data isn't available. Visually they look the same:

https://luxairhoods.com/cooker-hood...ors/cooker-hood-spare-replacement-large-motor

https://luxairhoods.com/cooker-hood...oker-hood-replacement-motor-island-extractors

But that could just be stock photos. As to the size of the fans and the spec of the motor, I guess I'm not going to be able to find out. I have ordered the 100cm hood with the larger motor. So once installed I guess I'll find out how noisy or quiet it is. I won't know how it compares to the 90cm hood with the smaller motor, but so long as it isn't too deafening I'll be pleased. And the extra extraction will definitely be a plus.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back