Is a Swiss style deal on the way

Sponsored Links
Brexiteers wouldn't accept such cooperation

The UK wouldn't have to accept those things. A Swiss style deal just means a bespoke agreement with the EU. Rather than a defined deal, like customs union, single market, EEA or EFTA.

So why don't we have one if those already instead of Johnson's underdone turkey?

Sponsored Links
I'm still waiting for the cheap food which Rees-Smugg promised would be an immediate benefit of Brexit - don't tell me it's been put on hold for 40 years

If we go ahead with this proposal, JRM's dream of hormone beef and chlorine chicken (for the masses, not him) will be dead.

Last edited:
The UK wouldn't have to accept those things. A Swiss style deal just means a bespoke agreement with the EU. Rather than a defined deal, like customs union, single market, EEA or EFTA.

The sticking point for Switzerland was abiding by state aid rules, all EU citizens being eligible for Swiss social security benefits and domestic salary protection.

So why don't we have one if those already instead of Johnson's underdone turkey?

Hard Brexiteer head bangers saw adopting EU standards as a dilution of our sovereignty.

EDIT: we do have a bespoke deal already, it is just the most extreme hard one we could have gone for.

You need to address that quest to the people of Switzerland, I wasn't involved in that vote.
Well I'll help you out...

All member countries in the EU are sovereign countries!

I guess just like brexiteers they voted the way they did because politicians lied to them!

But maybe you could help us out with some other issues...

How many countries are there in the EU, and how many have the Euro as their currency?

I mean if you believe that a country loses it's sovereignty when in the EU surely the numbers must be the same?

And if a country in the EU has lost it's sovereignty, how can it possibly vote to leave the EU with the minority of it's electorate's say so?

But again, freedom of trade movement is dependent on freedom of movement of people...

It is as I have said a core right of the EU...

The UK chose to turn a xenophobic back on that right...

Rather ironic that other trade movement deals with other places in the world will also mean a 'loosening up' of the freedom of movement of people!

Slowly but surely the UK will come to realise that as in many things they didn't have it so good until they lost it!

I'm happy to stand corrected as I'll admit to not knowing all the ins and outs re Brexit. However I suspect one of the main reasons many (most?) will have voted for Brexit was the 'taking back control of our borders' line. Would that be a fair thing to say? I'm not saying it was the only thing, I'm saying it would have featured in many folks top 3 things.

So I wonder how they feel given here we are 6 years on and it's not really happened. Indeed, not only do we have the farcical situation of the folk in boats, we also now have a growing acknowledgement that immigration will need to grow to fill UK job vacancies, some of which are in a sense legacy vacancies resulting from the 2016 vote.

Btw I voted in favour of Brexit, so I'm not typing this from any sort of perceived moral high ground position. However as a Brexit voter, I do now wonder if it was all worth it.

I think part of the challenge (or perhaps fact) is that with any significant change like this, you could argue it will take 10, 15, 20 years to truly know whether it was a good or bad decision for the country. Without going OT, this is party my concern re the Scottish independence thing. If 'yes' wins and things aren't great for the first x years, I'm confident the SNP and pro independence people will trot out the line 'these changes take years to bed in ...'

The concern is what then comes in the years thereafter.

I suspect one of the main reasons many (most?) will have voted for Brexit was the 'taking back control of our borders' line.

The phrase was taking back control, of what was unspecified, it was left to mean what the leave voter wanted it to mean. The less meaningless slogans such as £350 million a week to the NHS were just provable lies.

Blup

The phrase was taking back control, of what was unspecified, it was left to mean what the leave voter wanted it to mean.

Maybe there were people who voted for Brexit because they wanted a little crown on their beer glass. And didn't care about the other results.

Those must be the happy Brexers.

The Swiss people rejected this out of hand because of the loss of sovereignty it would involve.
Sound like you don't know much about Swiss politics. They get explanations.

Sponsored Links
Back