Is all MDF now crap???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that Selco are selling cheap MDF- I have the misfortune of painting it and seeing doors made by competent cabinet makers develop hairline cracks where the styls and rails meet.

Recently i have even noticed that even Medite seems to have dropped in quality. More grain raising and visible manufacturing sanding grooves.

Is this something to do with changes in the resins used?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't be surprised if elf n safety have put a stop to the chemicals being used.

Unless the main country of manufacture has changed (China, perhaps? :confused:) Pure guess though

Sponsored Links
its ok if you want to bodge something, i never use it

I can only imagine that the animosity to MDF stems from its missuse on programs such as Changing Rooms.

When used properly and under the right atmospheric conditions, it is by far the most stable cabinet making material. No shakes or compressions and a fraction of the cost of real timber.

With regard to being recycled cardboard, I believe that the main constituent of most mdf is freshly chopped trees. However unlike real timber you dont have to wait dozens of years for the timber to cure. Perhaps one could argue that all new timber is crap since the advent of kiln drying.

I am sitting on a chair that is over a 100 years old and will still be around a lot longer, most things made from MDF will be in a land fill site in a few years time. my cottage is held together cow dung and will still be around when modern houses will have fallen down. proper wood will last for a lifetime and a lot longer :D

i dont believe modern wood will last a lifetime. it is mainly starting to rot when it leaves the mill.

I agree with geraint that modern timber is inferior to the naturally dried timber of yester year.

The advent of kiln drying means you no longer wait dozens of years but the wood is more prone to compressions and shakes etc.

There are 1000 years old churches in Russia made from timber, I doubt that mass produced modern timber will last that long.

MDF might well be more likely to end up in landfill sites but that is more a function of the amount of it in use and the fact that it's overall costs are lower and thus owners no longer keep the same built in wardrobe for 50 years.

How long do those Eastern European cheap pine dining suites last?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back